Historic Lanesboro
Home of the Starrucca Viaduct
Lanesboro, PA
Post Office Box 214, Susquehanna, PA 18847
(570) 853-4781

Lanesboro Contacts
Lanesboro History
Starrucca Viaduct
Lanesboro Government
Lanesboro Council Minutes
Lanesboro News & Events
Lanesboro Community Center
Lanesboro Police Department
Lanesboro Permits and Codes
Lanesboro Bussinesses
Lanesboro Photographs
Lanesboro Budget and Taxes
Lanesboro Home Page
History


Lanesboro was incorporated in 1889, but had been established in well before in 1787. The borough was first named "Lanesville" in 1829 after resident Martin Lane. The name was changed to Lanesborough in 1832. Lanesboro's position near the falls of the Susquehanna River and the intersection of two valleys has greatly influenced the history of the town. As a transportation crossroads, Lanesboro became a distribution point for goods in the late nineteenth century. The conveniences of early Lanesboro included three stores, a hotel, a milinery shop, a machine shop, a wagon shop, two blacksmiths, a gristmill, a saw mill, two tanneries, a church, and a school. The years have seen many of these businesses change and even depart the borough. Though the Erie Railroad (builder of the Starrucca Viaduct) did not stop in Lanesboro, the Delaware and Hudson did. As with so many railroads, the D&H railroad bed was converted to Rails to Trails when it was taken out of commission.
Today Lanesboro has approximately 500 residents and five businesses. The Susquehanna Community Schools, serving the Tri-Boro area (Lanesboro, Oakland, and Susquehanna) are located within the borough limits. A portion of the Barnes-Kasson Hospital is also located in Lanesboro.


Page last updated 1 April 2011.
Please direct website comments and problems to webmaster@lanesboropa.com